Please read our Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQs for quick answers before you call. Read FAQs All departments are open as usual.

Your Motor Trade Insurance - Tollgate Private Client Insurance

Motor Trade Insurance policies

Whether you buy, sell, repair or valet vehicles, it’s important to have the right insurance in place in order to drive and work on other people’s cars with confidence.

However, with multiple options available, how do you know which cover will properly protect your garage, showroom or body shop? Here are the top three questions you should ask yourself to get started:


Trade insurance policies often cover your public liability, employers’ liability, equipment, stock and more. One cover specific to motor trade insurance is called road risks, protecting you on the road while driving cars belonging to customers or unsold stock. But a Road Risks Only policy will not cover vehicles kept at a business address, so if you run a showroom, forecourt or other work premises, make sure your policy provides adequate insurance cover for your premises.


WHO needs to drive the vehicles, and WHAT are they?

Don’t overlook the basics – some trade insurance policies include restrictions on the type of vehicles covered. If you work on something extra valuable or out of the ordinary, including performance cars, commercial vehicles, agricultural vehicles or motorbikes, simply let us know.

It’s also important to decide who will need to move the vehicles in your care – just a few named and approved drivers, or flexible cover for everyone in the business? Talk to us to make sure the right people are insured, especially if you employ staff under the age of 25 or apprentices.


HOW MUCH cover do you need?

Many policies will have an ‘indemnity level’. This figure is the maximum amount an insurer would pay in the event of a claim. If a claim’s value is higher than this, you may have to make up the shortfall yourself. During a consultation as an independent broker, we will be able to assess the types of risk your business faces and check your indemnity limit is not too low.


As Motor Trade insurance experts, Grove & Dean Corporate Insurance can advise on the right combination of policies, level of cover and indemnity limits for you. Get in touch today for an independent, no obligation quote.

Motor Trade Insurance
Service Type
Motor Trade Insurance
Provider Name
Tollgate Private Clients Insurance,
Tollgate House ,96 Market Place,Romford-RM1 3ER,
Telephone No.+44 (0)1708 609 609
Motor Trade
Tollgate Private Clients Insurance adds a personal touch to insuring your business in the motor trade. From MOT Garages to Service Stations, Car Dealers and partnerships, call Tollgate Private Clients to speak to a dedicated insurance consultant who will tailor an insurance policy and save you money by giving you precisely the cover and policy you need.